Looking to enjoy HALLOWEEN while still treating your body right?
While we will be sure to include some tasty treats in our October box, we have a couple of recipes that are our favorite this time of year! They help satisfy our cravings while still being festive and guilt-free!
“Boo” Nana Pops
- White chocolate (1 oz. per 1/2 banana)
- Chocolate chips
- Popsicle sticks
- Cut bananas into fourths (by width and then by length)
- Melt white chocolate
- Insert popsicle stick into flat end & dunk into white chocolate
- Add chocolate chips for eyes and chill in fridge until ready
Witch Finger Cookies (paleo + vegan!)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut oil at room temperature (should be the consistency of softened butter)
- 1/4 Cup + 3 Tbsp Honey *
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract
- 1 Cup Coconut floursifted (88g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 sliced almonds
- For the strawberry jelly: **
- 3/4 Cup frozen strawberries thawed and roughly chopped (170g – measured when fullythawed and soft)
- 2 Tbsp Honey *
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the honey and coconut oil and smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and almonds extracts and beat once more.
- Add the coconut flour and salt into the bowl and stir until well combined, and a wet dough forms. Scrape the dough onto a large piece of saran wrap and wrap into a flat, thin disc. Place into the refrigerator until firm and roll-able, about 25-30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the chopped berries and honey and bring to a b
oil over medium heat. Cook the berries, stirring frequently, until they become very thick and smooth, about 13-14 minutes. Make sure to really keep an eye at them near the end of cooking time, so they don’t burn.
- Transfer the berry mixture to a bowl and mash with a fork. Place into the refrigerator to set up.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll 1 Tbsp sized balls into 4 inch long finger-shapes, that are about 1/2 an inch thick. Place onto the prepared baking sheet and firmly press an sliced almond into the tip of the finger, to create fingernails. Remove the almond before baking. Then, using a small, sharp knife, make several horizontal, shallow cuts just under the finger nail, and then in the center of each finger, to represent knuckles. Lightly press in the dough on either sides of the knuckles to shape them. Place the whole pan into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once frozen, bake the cookies until golden brown, and lightly crackly about 12-13 minutes.
- Once cooled, dip the bottom of the finger into the strawberry jam, so it looks like it’s been cut off. Then, fill the finger nail space with a dollop of the jam, and press in a sliced almond.
- Jar of peanut or almond butter (you will use about 1/4 to a 1/2cup for one apple-depending on amount you use)
- Mini marshmallows
- Cut apple into 8 slices, then into smaller pieces to your preference
- Put about 1-2 teaspoons of peanut butter onto each slice
- Put a row of mini marshmallows across one apple slice
- Sandwich the two slices together and press firmly until they stick together
Have a happy, healthy and spooky Halloween!
We’re making back to school easy. Exams, schedules and staying on top of work and extracurriculars can be hard. But eating well shouldn’t be. Here are our top 4 ingredient snacks that will keep your kids (and you) energized at school or work. The best part is that they hardly take any time to prep…
Fit Snack’s Top 4 Ingredient Snacks to Make at Home:
- Red Ants on a Log (the Fit Snack way!):
- Ingredients: Celery sticks, natural peanut butter (or almond butter), mixed nut crumbles, and gogi berries
- Instructions: simply spread nut butter over celery sticks, top with mixed nuts and dried gogi berries – YUM! Place in tupperware and go.
- Greek Yogurt Breakfast Bark
- Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt, 3 tbs maple syrup, 1/2 cup Quaker Real Medleys SuperGrains Blueberry Pecan Granola, 1/2 cup blueberries, 3 to 4 sliced strawberries (add chia seeds if you want some extra nutrients too!)
- Instructions: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside, mix Greek yogurt and syrup in a bowl until combined. Pour onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin layer. Top with Real Medleys SuperGrains Blueberry Pecan Granola, blueberries, and strawberries, place in the freezer for two hours, or overnight, until the bark is fully frozen. Slice into desired squares when ready to eat!
- Almond Energy Balls:
- Ingredients: 1¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats, 1¼ cup chopped pitted dates, ½ cup no-salt added unsweetened almond butter, 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Instructions: Place ingredients into food processor and process until smooth. Use spoon to scoop out and create firm energy balls that stick together. Chill…
- Zucchini Chips:
- Ingredients: 1 lb (about 4 cups) thin sliced Zucchini, 1/8 tsp salt, 1 ounce of finely grated Parmesan cheese, 1 garlic clove finely grated or 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Instructions: Preheat oven to 230 degrees (F), use a knife or mandoline slicer to cut zucchini into thin slices, place cut zucchini in a bowl, add salt, Parmesan cheese, garlic and vinegar, toss to coat, bake for 1 1/2 hours.
In a rush? For those of you who don’t have time this week to make homemade snacks.
Enjoy our recommended back to school go-to’s with links to order!
FRUIT and VEGGIE BAR: This bar was inspired by Ally’s favorite Juice. Naturally sweet balance of apples and carrots and a spiced up with ginger. 5 – 9 servings of vegetables and 2 – 4 servings of fruit per day, is a difficult standard to meet each day! With Ally’s bar not only can you meet your nutritional requirements more easily, you can also enjoy sustainable whole food energy on the go!
Enjoy 20% off with code fitsnack at allysbar.com
Kala Fava Beans: Consider these your new go-to. With a selection of flavors like Pineapple, Sea Salt and Vinegar, Pepper and Curry, you’re never bored with what Kala has to offer. These beans are flavored just right so they taste more like chips than beans. These little beans are packed with protein and iron and are one of the tastiest superfoods out there. Featured in our Sept Fit Snack box!
Rise Buddy Pizza Rice Chips: Fit Snack delivers pizza? Only in the most efficient way possible! We love the quirky and unique products that Rise Buddy has shared with us and we want to share these yummy chips with you. These whole grain chips are made from brown rice, oven baked and gluten free. AND they come in delicious flavors like Pizza, BBQ, Sour Cream and more. Available on Amazon!
Raw Bite Organic Fruit and Nut Bar: Looking for a snack that car seriously fill you up? Raw Bite has you covered. Though each bar is smaller in size, these fruit and nut bars are full of fiber and protein, and they only contain natural sugars. If you have dietary restrictions, this bar might just be the golden ticket. Every Raw Bite bar is dairy free, gluten free and corn free. For anyone who is vegan, paleo or trying to eat more organically, Raw Bite is worth checking out. Visit www.rawbite.us and use code FITSNACK for 20% off through 09/30/2017.
Ricaroons Coconut Energy Bar: Ricaroons has somehow managed to make their protein bars taste more like a dessert than a healthy snack. Ricaroons uses three different forms of coconut: coconut oil, coconut flakes, and coconut palm nectar. Coconut digests smoothly, converting to energy with a minimal insulin effect. This means that with coconut comes consistent energy rather than a spike and crash like from most other sugars. Each bar is nutrient-packed that provides long lasting energy and they are the perfect snack for anyone on-the-go. They even have Pumpkin Spice flavor for the fall! Visit www.rickaroons.com/buy and use code SNACKFIT for 15% off through 10/2/2017.
Getting Back Into the Work and School Routine is Easier with Fit Snack!
Getting back into the school routine is now just a bit easier with snacks that keep you energized and focused. With no artificial ingredients you and your kids can snack stress free. Follow links to our discounted snacks and get ready to hit the books!
Fit Snack is now offering office boxes to awesome offices around the nation! Visit www.fitsnack.com/office to get more information and a free sample box for qualified offices!
Sweeping the nation with healthy snacks!