The Fit Snack team loves to party! Here are five steps to throwing a get together that is as healthy as it is fun:
Step 1: Shots, shots, shots! (On second thought…maybe just one shot)
Cocktails have a reputation for being sneaky sources of calories, and rightfully so. The average margarita, for example, has nearly 200 calories. And who only has one margarita? Luckily, its easy to make lower-cal, delicious cocktails at home with an easy recipe like this from What’s Gaby Cooking :
- 5 ounces tequila
- 5 ounces freshly squeezed citrus juice, orange, blood orange, tangerine, satsuma, grapefruit
- 3 ounces lime juice
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- splash of sparkling water
- Run a wedge of lime across the top of 2 cocktail glasses. Once damp, coat the rim in salt.
- Add all the ingredients except the sparkling water into a cocktail shaker with a few cubes of ice. Shake for 30 seconds until chilled and then strain the margaritas into serving glasses with new ice. Top with a splash of sparkling water in each glass and serve immediately.
2.) Let’s Get Snackin’
After a drink (or two) at a party, the hunger starts to kick in. But what to eat while waiting for the burgers to grill? Ditch the potato chips and say hello to some tasty and healthy sides.
- Pasta Salad: The traditional side is smothered in mayo, sky rocketing calories and fat. Pesto pasta salad tastes just as decadent but is loaded with healthy fats and some extra veggies. Try this Summertime Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Corn , and Jalapeño Pesto
- Chips and Dip: Everyone loves a snack that’s salty and crunchy. Unfortunately, potato chips are loaded with sodium and lack nutritional value you’d think they have from being potatoes. Luckily, kale chips pack all the salty crunchiness people love with a boost of vitamins and are gluten and soy-free! Try this foolproof kale chips recipe and you’ll never go back to potatoes!
3.) Build a Burger
- American cheese on a single patty is SO 90’s. Class up your burger by making the patties from scratch. Here’s some easy tips for making a healthier patty from 56 Healthier Burger Recipes for Grilling Season
Use whole-wheat breadcrumbs instead of white, or try ground nuts (such as hazelnut or almond) for a healthier filler that’s also gluten-free.
Add fresh herbs to your burger for a healthy, low-calorie flavor-booster.
Sneak more veggie servings into your day by tossing chopped spinach or other leafy greens into the burger mixture, or add as a topping.”
- Mustard and ketchup are condiment standbys for a reason; they’re delicious. Even more delicious, however is Homemade Curry Ketchup and Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip .
- Get creative with toppings! In addition to tomatoes, offer healthy and flavorful options like avocado, jalapeños, spinach, red pepper, portobello mushrooms…whatever sounds good!
- Use multi-grain buns instead of potato or white bread for an added boost of nutrition!
4.) Nobody Screams for Ice Cream!
Some of us abide by the saying “Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.” Thankfully, these Vitamin-C packed ice pops are refreshing enough to eat at any point in the party! Your guests will love them so much, no one will go running out when the ice cream truck rolls by: Minted Watermelon & Lemon Ice Pops
5.) Have FUN!
Now that you have healthy options for each course sorted, sit back with your skinny Margarita and enjoy the party!
By Arielle Rubenstein