by Fit Snack | Apr 19, 2023 | Uncategorized
Promoting Sustainable Food Choices and Supporting Local Agriculture
In honor of Earth Month, Fit Snack is hosting a recipe challenge to promote sustainable food choices and support local agriculture. We want to encourage our followers to create a recipe using only ingredients that are in season and grown locally. This not only promotes sustainable food choices but also supports local agriculture and reduces the environmental impact of transportation.
Why Eating Seasonal and Locally-Sourced Ingredients is Important
Eating seasonally and locally-sourced ingredients is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and support local farmers. When you choose to eat foods that are in season and grown locally, you reduce the amount of energy required to transport and store the food. This means fewer greenhouse gas emissions and a smaller environmental impact.
Additionally, buying from local farmers supports your local economy and helps ensure that small-scale farmers can continue to thrive. It also promotes biodiversity, as farmers are more likely to grow a variety of crops when they have a local market for them.
How to Participate in Fit Snack’s Recipe Challenge
To participate in our recipe challenge, create a recipe using only ingredients that are in season and grown locally. This can include fruits, vegetables, grains, and other whole foods. Be creative and experiment with different flavor combinations!
Once you’ve created your recipe, share a photo and the recipe instructions on social media using the hashtag #FitSnackEarthMonth. Make sure to tag us (@fitsnack) in your post so we can see your submission.
We’ll be accepting recipe submissions throughout the month of April, and the winner will be announced in early May. The winning recipe will receive a free 3-month Fit Snack subscription, which includes a monthly box of healthy snacks and supplements.
Let’s Make a Positive Impact on the Environment
By participating in Fit Snack’s Earth Month recipe challenge, you can make a positive impact on the environment and support local agriculture. Eating seasonally and locally-sourced ingredients is a simple but powerful way to reduce your carbon footprint and support your local community.
We can’t wait to see what delicious and creative recipes our followers come up with!
by Fit Snack | Apr 18, 2023 | Food for thought, Recipes
Blend your way to a delicious and nutritious snack or meal with this smoothie that checks all the right boxes. Creamy almond milk, protein-packed Greek yogurt, and fiber-rich oats and bananas come together in a symphony of goodness, while spinach and cinnamon bring in a boost of vitamins, minerals, and blood sugar regulation. Don’t let the healthy ingredients fool you – almond butter adds a dollop of healthy fats and honey brings in natural sweetness. Sip on this smoothie and enjoy improved gut health all while feeling full and satisfied.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ice (optional)
- In a blender, combine the banana, oats, almond milk, Greek yogurt, almond butter, spinach, cinnamon, and honey.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add ice if desired and blend again.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass and enjoy!
This smoothie is packed with nutrients from a variety of sources and can provide a healthy and tasty start to your day!
by Fit Snack | Apr 14, 2023 | Healthy Lifestyle
April is Stress Awareness Month, and it’s a time to focus on a common issue that affects millions of people globally. Stress can have significant negative impacts on both mental and physical health, which is why it’s crucial to identify its signs and adopt healthy coping mechanisms.
One of the lesser-known stress facts is that it can impact our immune system. According to a study by Carnegie Mellon University, chronic stress can make us more susceptible to infections by reducing the immune system’s ability to fight off antigens.
Stress is a natural response to a challenging situation, and while it can be beneficial in some cases, prolonged exposure to stress can lead to several health problems. For instance, research has linked chronic stress to an increased risk of heart disease, obesity, and depression.
The statistics on stress are concerning. According to the American Institute of Stress, around 77% of Americans experience physical symptoms caused by stress, while 73% report experiencing psychological symptoms. Moreover, work-related stress costs U.S. businesses an estimated $300 billion annually.
Stress can manifest in various ways, including physical and emotional symptoms. However, adopting healthy habits can significantly help manage stress and improve overall well-being.
One effective way to manage stress is through regular exercise. Exercise has been shown to reduce stress hormones like cortisol and increase endorphins, which can improve mood and reduce anxiety and depression. Additionally, regular exercise can improve sleep quality, which is often disrupted by stress.
Another way to manage stress is through meditation and mindfulness practices. Research has shown that mindfulness-based interventions can reduce stress and improve psychological well-being. Mindfulness meditation involves focusing on the present moment and accepting it without judgment, while deep breathing exercises can help slow down our heart rate and lower our blood pressure.
Diet also plays a significant role in managing stress. Consuming foods high in magnesium, such as spinach, almonds, and avocados, has been shown to reduce stress levels. Magnesium is essential for regulating the nervous system and has a calming effect on the body.
Stress is a prevalent issue that can significantly impact our mental and physical health. By adopting healthy habits such as regular exercise, meditation, and consuming foods high in magnesium, we can manage stress and improve our overall well-being. It’s time to take stress seriously and prioritize our well-being.
by Fit Snack | Apr 14, 2023 | Healthy Lifestyle
Weekends are not just for lounging around, but a time to refuel, recharge, and seize the opportunity to enhance productivity, creativity, and well-being. You can’t afford to let this time slip away! Here are the top 10 things that the most successful people do on the weekends that you can also incorporate into your routine:
- Prioritize rest and relaxation: As much as it might seem counterintuitive, downtime is essential to help reduce stress, increase productivity and improve memory, mood, and cognitive function.
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise not only reduces the risk of chronic diseases but also enhances productivity and work performance. So, why not use the weekends to engage in physical activities that you love?
- Spend quality time with family and friends: The support and connections you have with your loved ones play a significant role in your overall well-being and happiness. Therefore, it’s important to allocate time for bonding with family and friends, which can reduce stress and provide emotional support.
- Pursue your passions: When you engage in activities that fulfill and satisfy you outside of work, it can significantly reduce stress and enhance creativity. It’s a chance to explore new interests, learn new skills, and add more meaning to your life.
- Disconnect from work: Constant connectivity to work can lead to burnout, decreased productivity, and fatigue. By unplugging from work on the weekends, you can recharge your batteries and come back to work with renewed energy.
- Practice self-care: Engaging in activities that promote relaxation, such as meditation, massage, or a relaxing bath, can help reduce stress and improve your mood. Take the time to care for yourself to recharge your mental and emotional batteries.
- Plan for the upcoming week: Planning for the week ahead can help reduce stress and enhance productivity by providing structure and direction. It’s an excellent way to avoid feeling overwhelmed by your to-do list and ensures that you stay on track.
- Learn new things: Learning new skills and knowledge can boost creativity and enhance cognitive functioning. So, why not use the weekends to read, take a course, or attend a workshop?
- Volunteer: Giving back to your community can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment. It’s an excellent opportunity to meet new people, make a difference, and improve your well-being.
- Prioritize your health: Your health is critical for optimal performance and well-being. Use the weekends to prioritize your health by eating nutritious foods, exercising regularly, and getting adequate sleep.
The weekends are not just a time to unwind and relax, but also an opportunity to improve your overall well-being and success. By incorporating these top 10 habits into your weekend routine, you too can take your weekends to the next level and set yourself up for success in all areas of your life. So go ahead, make the most of your weekend, and strive for greatness! Remember, success is not just about what you do during the workweek, but also how you recharge and improve yourself during your time off.
by Fit Snack | Mar 28, 2023 | Uncategorized
If you’re looking for a group of vegetables that can help you stay healthy and feel your best, look no further than the cruciferous vegetables! These veggies are like the superheroes of the vegetable world, with an impressive list of health benefits and a delicious taste that will make you want to eat them every day.
So, what are these magical veggies? Well, they belong to the Brassicaceae family and include vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, and cabbage. These veggies are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other beneficial plant compounds that can help support overall health and wellness.
One of the key benefits of cruciferous vegetables is their anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that these veggies contain compounds that can help prevent cancer. For example, sulforaphane, a compound found in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, has been shown to have anti-cancer properties and may help inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
But that’s not all! Cruciferous vegetables are also great for heart health. They’re low in calories and fat, high in fiber, and can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Plus, they contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the body and support overall health.
If you’re looking to improve your digestive health, cruciferous vegetables are a great choice. They’re rich in fiber, which can help promote healthy digestion and reduce the risk of constipation, bloating, and other digestive issues.
And let’s not forget about the immune system! Cruciferous vegetables are high in vitamins C and K, which can help support a healthy immune system and promote wound healing.
Now, if you’re thinking, “Okay, these veggies are great for me, but do they taste good?” The answer is a resounding YES! There are so many delicious ways to enjoy cruciferous vegetables, from roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze to a kale salad with roasted butternut squash and pomegranate seeds.
Here are two recipes to get you started:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread them out on a baking sheet.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and honey in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the roasted Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Kale Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the butternut squash out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, prepare the kale by removing the stems and chopping the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place the chopped kale in a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard to make the dressing.
- Once the butternut squash is done roasting, let it cool for a few minutes before adding it to the salad bowl with the kale.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds, and crumbled feta cheese to the salad bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy!