Promoting Sustainable Food Choices and Supporting Local Agriculture
In honor of Earth Month, Fit Snack is hosting a recipe challenge to promote sustainable food choices and support local agriculture. We want to encourage our followers to create a recipe using only ingredients that are in season and grown locally. This not only promotes sustainable food choices but also supports local agriculture and reduces the environmental impact of transportation.
Why Eating Seasonal and Locally-Sourced Ingredients is Important
Eating seasonally and locally-sourced ingredients is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and support local farmers. When you choose to eat foods that are in season and grown locally, you reduce the amount of energy required to transport and store the food. This means fewer greenhouse gas emissions and a smaller environmental impact.
Additionally, buying from local farmers supports your local economy and helps ensure that small-scale farmers can continue to thrive. It also promotes biodiversity, as farmers are more likely to grow a variety of crops when they have a local market for them.
How to Participate in Fit Snack’s Recipe Challenge
To participate in our recipe challenge, create a recipe using only ingredients that are in season and grown locally. This can include fruits, vegetables, grains, and other whole foods. Be creative and experiment with different flavor combinations!
Once you’ve created your recipe, share a photo and the recipe instructions on social media using the hashtag #FitSnackEarthMonth. Make sure to tag us (@fitsnack) in your post so we can see your submission.
We’ll be accepting recipe submissions throughout the month of April, and the winner will be announced in early May. The winning recipe will receive a free 3-month Fit Snack subscription, which includes a monthly box of healthy snacks and supplements.
Let’s Make a Positive Impact on the Environment
By participating in Fit Snack’s Earth Month recipe challenge, you can make a positive impact on the environment and support local agriculture. Eating seasonally and locally-sourced ingredients is a simple but powerful way to reduce your carbon footprint and support your local community.
We can’t wait to see what delicious and creative recipes our followers come up with!
If you’re looking for a group of vegetables that can help you stay healthy and feel your best, look no further than the cruciferous vegetables! These veggies are like the superheroes of the vegetable world, with an impressive list of health benefits and a delicious taste that will make you want to eat them every day.
So, what are these magical veggies? Well, they belong to the Brassicaceae family and include vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, and cabbage. These veggies are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other beneficial plant compounds that can help support overall health and wellness.
One of the key benefits of cruciferous vegetables is their anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that these veggies contain compounds that can help prevent cancer. For example, sulforaphane, a compound found in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, has been shown to have anti-cancer properties and may help inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
But that’s not all! Cruciferous vegetables are also great for heart health. They’re low in calories and fat, high in fiber, and can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Plus, they contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the body and support overall health.
If you’re looking to improve your digestive health, cruciferous vegetables are a great choice. They’re rich in fiber, which can help promote healthy digestion and reduce the risk of constipation, bloating, and other digestive issues.
And let’s not forget about the immune system! Cruciferous vegetables are high in vitamins C and K, which can help support a healthy immune system and promote wound healing.
Now, if you’re thinking, “Okay, these veggies are great for me, but do they taste good?” The answer is a resounding YES! There are so many delicious ways to enjoy cruciferous vegetables, from roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze to a kale salad with roasted butternut squash and pomegranate seeds.
Here are two recipes to get you started:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread them out on a baking sheet.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and honey in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the roasted Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Kale Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the butternut squash out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, prepare the kale by removing the stems and chopping the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place the chopped kale in a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard to make the dressing.
- Once the butternut squash is done roasting, let it cool for a few minutes before adding it to the salad bowl with the kale.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds, and crumbled feta cheese to the salad bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
Stretching has many benefits for the body, including:
- Improved flexibility and range of motion: Stretching regularly can help improve your flexibility and range of motion by increasing the elasticity of your muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This can help you move more freely and easily.
- Reduced risk of injury: Stretching can help reduce the risk of injury by warming up the muscles and increasing blood flow to them. This can help prevent strains, sprains, and other injuries.
- Improved posture: Stretching can help improve your posture by lengthening tight muscles that can cause poor alignment and postural problems.
- Reduced muscle soreness: Stretching can help reduce muscle soreness after exercise by increasing blood flow and reducing muscle tension.
- Improved circulation: Stretching can help improve blood flow to the muscles, which can help improve circulation and nutrient delivery to the tissues.
- Reduced stress and tension: Stretching can help reduce stress and tension by relaxing the muscles and promoting a sense of relaxation and well-being.
Overall, incorporating stretching into your daily routine can have numerous benefits for your body and mind, helping you stay healthy and active for longer.
These delicious Almond Butter Banana muffins are made without dairy, gluten, oil, or refined sugar.
- 2 Ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Almond milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/4 Rolled oats – Our favorite is Bakery on main’s unsweetened oatmeal
- 1/4 cup Flax seed
- 1/2 cup Almond butter
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Combine all wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients.
- For a smoother consitence, add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth; 20- 30 seconds.
- Pour the batter into a muffin tim.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until the tops are a light golden brown.
This is the perfect pick me up in addition to your daily cup of joe, or a healthy alternative. Ritual Energy has created a bite sized bar that will banish your afternoon slump. Each one provides 100 mg of clean organic caffeine. This whole food energy bite is plant based and only 70 calories.
They use only simple and natural ingredients to create a tasty snack that energizes you in a smooth and focused way. Ritual Energy is easier on the stomach than coffee and comes on gradually rather than the spikes and drops of coffee and energy drinks.
So what flavor do you get to bite into this month? Almond Toasted Coconut!
Organic dry roasted almonds, dates, and honey are sprinkled with toasted coconut flakes to give you a whole lot of goodness in one little bite.
What we love about Ritual Energy Bite:
- Dairy Free
- 70 Calories
- Gluten Free
- USDA Organic
Purchase your box today and explore the world of healthy snacking!
At LesserEvil, their mission is to create organic, sustainably made, delicious snacks that inspire mindful snacking. Their philosophy is that less is more and that ingredients mean everything. They source premium ingredients and use minimal processing to keep them as whole and tasty as possible.
It’s LesserEvil’s goal to be the most sustainable snack company on the planet. They partner with responsible farms and use energy-efficient practices to keep their factory green, package their snacks in biodegradable NEO plastic, and compost almost all of the waste. From dreaming up fun, new flavors to finding the latest in eco-friendly packaging, innovation is their superpower. Through simple acts and clean snacks, LesserEvil hopes to make the world a little more good.
LESSER EVIL, IT’S ALL IN THE NAME.
A handful of popcorn, a handful of ingredients. Our Himalayan Pink Salt Popcorn is made from organic popcorn, organic extra virgin coconut oil, and Himalayan pink salt. air They pop the most tender butterfly popcorn, making it lighter and fluffier than other pre-popped popcorn. Tumbled in coconut oil and sprinkled in Himalayan salt, this popcorn is simple perfection.
Their Ingredients Mean Everything
When fewer ingredients share the spotlight, flavor takes centerstage! They craft the highest quality snacks using only ingredients that are clean, healthy and organic. And they NEVER use vegetable oil.
To order, visit www.LesserEvil.com and use coupon code FITSNACK20 for 20% off your order